Monday, June 18, 2007

The Table: In the workshop (day1)

How optimistic we can be sometimes.. I mean I remember myself doing some work in the workshops of Leeds Met a few years ago when I started the -never finished- architecture course. I remember it as an easy thing that just needs concentration and good will. I mean how hard can it be cutting a piece of wood using the right tools and machines. How difficult it can be to measure and sand it afterwards, to organise everything in order to have vertical surfaces and angles.
Well it is..
We sure would not end up with a table if it was left to me. I mean drawing the 'box' on the wood was fairly easy but trimming the wood afterwards takes some great skill and on my first attempts I knew poor Asteris would have to almost do it all; and he did.



Since the wood was not wide enough we had to cut it in half, connect the two pieces together and let the glue dry for 16 hours. That would give us time to think, relax and get ready for the next day where all the fun should begin..

No comments: