Thursday, July 05, 2007

The Table: some thinking..






















Just an update on what I am up to, since there are a lot of things running at the same time!

After the table was sanded perferctly with the great help of Derek from Leeds College of Art & Design, I took it back home until next Wednesday that I am going to screenprint on it.

The table looks good, very promising and the total printable area (probably all the table surfaces to be honest!) is big enough to house any kind of comments, histories, outlines of uses and other staff that I will need to include.

And this is the problem maybe!

It was easy enough to decide to go along with such a project but when the time comes for the final product, you start realising how permanent all this information will be. Since we are screenprinting (and ultimately vanishing the wood), the words that are going to be on it are never going to come off!

Hmm, what a challenge. Should this raise a few questions? Should it all maybe be a bit more hidden? Should it be in such a way that is not as easy to read as an article in a newspaper? Should it be a narrative of ideas, information, data? Or maybe just random facts about the table (that the user is called to discover, answer and question them?)

Definitely a nice and clean presentation of the data is something I would go for. Something I always like is legibility and ease-of-use. But the challenge is maybe trying to be more fun this time. Try to make the table stay interesting even when you look at it for a thousand times. Afterall its an everyday object that you are going to be facing all the time. I guess having a person in your living room, telling you the same thing over and over and over again, gets you a bit tired (except if this person says ‘I love you’) (should I forget everything and just print a huge ‘I love you’ on the top?)

We shall see.

No comments: